Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Mountains Beyond Mountains

Share
Freshman Orientation....scores of upcoming freshman and their parents/aunts/uncles/twice-removed cousins are learning and exploring our UT campus this week.

The only thing I remember about my orientation is that I became friends with a girl in my group named Stephanie and we paired up for the two day festivities. My parents also met their respective 'parent pair' as well and were very encouraging in me meeting their new friends' daughter. Lo and behold, it was Stephanie's parents. After our exchanges of phone numbers and "see you in August," the next time I saw Stephanie, for our move in day, we discovered we were next door neighbors in Hess Hall, 3rd floor. We each did our own thing eventually...and I have no idea where Stephanie is now but you never know who you will meet in your orientation. Make the most out of orientation, it really is helpful. I promise.


ANYWAYS. FRESHMAN READING.....LIFE OF THE MIND SERIES.

So far, the Life of the Mind Program (started in 2003 a year after me, so I had no summer reading....HAH), has put out some great reads in previous years such as:
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (2009) *I highly recommend this book*

AND this year is no different!


Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracey Kidder

REVIEWS:
"Mountains Beyond Mountains is inspiring, disturbing, daring and completely absorbing. It will rattle our complacency; it will prick our conscience."- The New York Times

"[A] masterpiece...an astonishing book that will leave you questioning your own life and political views... Kidder opens a window into Farmer's soul, letting the reader peek in and see what truly makes the good doctor tick." - Nicholas Thomas, USAToday

"Mountains Beyond Mountains unfolds with the force of gathering revelation. Like all of Tracy Kidder's books, it is as hard to put down as any good and true story."- Annie Dillard

Read an excerpt from Chapter 1 of Kidder's book on the NPR website.

Also. Click on any of the titles to learn more about each book.

No comments: