The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Anne Shaffer and Annie Barrows (Named one of the Ten Best Books of the Year by Time and USA Today)
I love reading this book. Note I say LOVE, present tense, because it is impossible to read it once. I wish every character were real. It is written in the form of a series of letters exchanged among the characters of the story and I did not want it to end.
The novel is set right after World War II ends in 1946, and Juliet, our fantastically funny main character, sets out to write about the inhabitants of Guernsey Island and their struggles during the war.
Seriously, my review cannot do this book justice. Here are some better reviews:
"I've never wanted to join a club so desperately as I did while reading Guernsey....[The novel] is a labor of love and it shows on almsot every page." - The Christian Science Monitor
"A book-lover's delight, an implicit and sometimes explicit paean to all things literary." - Chicago Sun-Times
"For sheer enjoyment, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is one of the best books of the year...[a] delightful, unforgettable novel." - BookPage
No comments:
Post a Comment